Certificate of Eligibily (CoE)

In addition to the traditional visa application procedure where you can apply a visa at Japanese foreign representations (embassy, consulate etc.), there is a second visa application procedure with a so-called "Certificate of Eligibility" (zairyu shikaku nintei shomeisho).
To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, the applicant must ask a guarantor in Japan (e.g. an employer) to contact the local immigration office and make an application on their behalf. After the CoE is issued, the CoE will be sent to the guarantor in Japan and the guarantor shall send the CoE to the applicant. Once you have the original CoE, you can apply for a visa. Application process may be faster and easier with the CoE.
Please note that you have to apply for a corresponding visa within 3 months after issuance date of the CoE and enter Japan. Otherwise your CoE will be invalid!
To apply for a visa at the Consulate General with a CoE, you need to bring a valid passport (and a copy of the first page), a current passport picture, the application form (signed and dated) and the original Certificate of Eligibility (and a copy). Depending on nationality, a visa fee may apply. Applicants not living in Hamburg, Bremen, Lower Saxony or Schleswig-Holstein are requested to contact us in advance.