Criteria of visa issuanceA Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.
(1) The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to the re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
(2) All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
(3) The activities to be engaged in Japan/ the civil status or the position of the applicant/ the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. Hereinafter referred to as the "Immigration Control Act")
(4) The applicant do not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.
Please note the followings before you apply:
- We only accept visa applications of residents in our jurisdictional area (such as Hamburg, Bremen, Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein). If you are not registered in our jurisdictional area, please contact us in advance.
- You can apply and collect your visa only during our opening hours on weekdays from 9:30 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 4:30 pm (see our holidays in 2022).
- Passports with visa have to be collected and won’t be sent back.
- An authorized representative can apply or collect the visa with an original power of attorney, signed and dated by the applicant.
- Applicants are required to appear in person at the consulate at least once.